Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mom's Potato Soup


There's nothing quite like a cold winter day to send me scurrying inside in search of comfort food. I like to make a lot of hearty stews and soups this time of year to warm my belly and heart. The following recipe is something my mom used to make for us growing up. It's a perfect quick-fix meal for any day of the week. As my mom would say, it "sticks to your ribs."


Potato Soup

Baking potatoes, peeled (I used about 4)
Onion
Summer Sausage ("Johnsonville" original recipe preferred)
Cheddar Cheese (the sharper the better as far as I'm concerned)
Butter
Thyme
Salt
Pepper

Dice potatoes and onion. Cook in just enough water to cover. When very tender, remove from heat and mash potatoes in the cooking water. Add finely diced summer sausage, about half of a small block of cheddar cheese (diced so it melts better) and 2 tablespoons butter. Season to taste with salt, pepper (lots), and thyme. Be careful too lower heat and stir often once potatoes are mashed so it doesn’t burn on the bottom.

I think it might be tasty to replace some of the cooking liquid with a bottle of good German beer.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment